News in brief – Week 5

Ashmolean wins

The Ashmolean Museum this week won its third award in a month, after its £61 million extension won one of 102 awards from the Royal Institute of British Architects.

The Ashmolean had announced on May 18th that it won £29,000 from the Art Fund, and been shortlisted for another £100,000 Art Fund award. A month ago it was named Building Project of the Year at the 2010 Building Awards.

The Ashmolean’s new extension, designed by Rick Mather Architects, includes 39 new galleries.

It was completed in November 2009, with construction work shutting the Museum for the preceding year.

–Matt Thomson-Ryder

Malde honoured

Former St Peter’s student Anjool Malde, who died after falling from London restaurant Coq d’Argent last July, has been awarded an honorary master’s degree.

The ceremony at St Peter’s College on Saturday was followed by a memorial tea, which was attended by Malde’s parents, friends, and old tutors.

A trust has also been set up in his memory.

An inquest in February into Malde’s death returned a verdict of suicide.

The College said, “He was clearly destined to develop a distinguished career in whatever he turned his hand to and it is particularly tragic that his life has been cut so short.

“On the occasion of the posthumous conferral of Anjool’s MA by the University, we are therefore very pleased to have the opportunity of remembering Anjool’s life and achievements in the company of his family and St Peter’s friends.”

–Nabeelah Jaffer

Sextuplets

A woman gave birth to sextuplets last week in Oxford –– beating odds of one in 4.5 million.

Vicky Lamb became the mother of four girls and two boys after going into labour 14 weeks prematurely last Thursday.

One boy, thought to be the smallest baby, died on Friday. The remaining five babies remain in stable
condition.

“They are receiving round-theclock intensive care and specialist nursing at the moment and their condition is constantly monitored,” Kenny McCormick, a doctor at John Radcliffe Hospital, said.

The mother is reported to be recovering well.

The last surviving set of sextuplets in the UK was born in Belfast a year ago.

–Carl Lewis

'News in brief – Week 5' has no comments

Be the first to comment this post!