Which came first, the chicken or the Clegg?

Nick Clegg was due to speak at The Oxford Union yesterday, but like Vince Cable before him, he cancelled his visit.

Jim Cranshaw from Oxford community group Save Our Services organised a lunchtime protest in association with Oxford Education Campaign and No Cuts Oxford outside the Lib Dem offices. Protestors dressed in yellow or as chickens to draw attention to the Lib Dems having “chickened out” of facing the electorate.

Cranshaw said: “The Lib Dems got elected on promises they haven’t kept. They made false promises and they’re too yellow to come here. They should face us and be answerable for this U-turn on their election manifesto.

“They made a solemn pledge not to increase student fees and they made a promise not to cut public services. We are doing this chicken protest to highlight how they have chickened out of all the things they promised the electorate.”

One jobseeker and recent graduate, who wanted to be named only as Will, said: “I’m living on the breadline. I couldn’t even afford to go to the protest in London, but we wont stop until something changes. They can’t get away with this. We will be protesting again next Wednesday.”

Several police were on hand asking some protestors for their details, taking photographs and filming all those involved in what seemed like an overly cautious approach to what was a small and peaceful protest.

PHOTO/Devesh Mistry

'Which came first, the chicken or the Clegg?' have 4 comments

1. 18/11/2010 @ 01:23 Jim

Hi thanks for a good article, but just wanna say, I didn’t ‘organise the protest’ in any way. About twenty-five people were involved in making banners, bringing materials and getting other people to come. All of SOS & OEC protests aren’t organised by any one person but many.

Otherwise, a successful protest: A Tory pulled out of a similar engagement due to the expectation of protest up in Aberystwith today too. Is there ANY reason why they think things are going to get any easier? With attacking the worst off people in society as a firm coalition policy, they will not be able to go anywhere in the country if they don’t like protest!

2. 24/11/2010 @ 17:10 brett candlemaker chandler

MY GODSON POINTED UP THE DEF OF ‘clegg’ ON URBAN DICTIONARY

YUP

3. 25/11/2010 @ 02:39 anthony brett dawe

have to demand my £60 four years ‘Liberal Society’ dues at St. A’s back

“nick clegg nick clegg shame on you for turning blue’

‘nick clegg nick clegg we know you you’re a f****** TORY too’

[had to ‘cut’ a bit – ED… sorry BNC lot]

Can you say George Grenville and Lord North children?

No teacher we are unsentient North Americans, just another brick in the Wall.

we be … not nyet.

4. 25/11/2010 @ 07:21 che levada

now that here are a few pictures escaped the censors one thing is plain:

the british polizei are highly unlikely to ever get beyond the animal farm set

nah… 1984 they won’t ever perform… prob is mi5 is a non sequitir and the ‘pigs’ are too right in their type casting…

have to be hollywood once more spose…

where was old tom nowy… i mean novy…. didn’t see em