Debate: Should you stand in formal hall?

Sean Scoltock argues that standing in formal hall is an inherently debasing, illegitimate practice

The other night, I was having dinner with some friends at formal hall and was at the peak of my form as a general tit and saboteur. But just as, with my audience primed for optimal offense, I was about to deliver the crude punch-line, the most incredible thing happened. “All kneel!”. All knelt. “Allahu Akbar”. All repeated the line. A group of SCR members emerged from one corner, though with our heads bowed, we saw only their polished shoes as they snaked round the tables ensuring conformity.

Now, this didn’t happen. Instead, before we ate, (almost) all stood in silence for Grace. At the end of the meal, the same behaviour was expected. Why do we do this?

It’s traditional, sure, but so was beating your wife until recently. Neither will etiquette nor manners suffice.

A sign of respect, perhaps. Respect for the religious ceremony? This is the most common justification that I’ve heard, but surely it is the worst of the lot. Not because one shouldn’t respect religious practice – one should – but because it presupposes the legitimacy of this practice.

And its illegitimacy is the most patent fact of the matter. If we are not to give the same air-time to every religion – and I assume we won’t – then none should be so recognised. We live in a pluralistic, putatively liberal, democracy. The separation of church and state is widely accepted. Why not of church and college?

There are no reasons to stand in silence for Grace. But there is also a reason for not doing it. At least in my College, silence is actually expected from the point at which those on High Table – the dons of Oriel College – enter the hall, and second time around, right up to the exit of the last of them. Our culture deems standing in silence a sign of extreme deference, even of obsequiousness. No one warrants this.

A few years ago Christopher Hitchens wrote a rousing article for Slate, in which he urged the reader to resist rude waiters who butt in to pour your wine for you. He admitted it was not the most pressing issue but nevertheless insisted, on the grounds that it was both manifestly absurd and easily remedied.

My intentions are his. Next time you stand at formal hall, ask yourself why? If you can think only of ‘because everyone else does’, or any of the above reasons, then stay seated.

Sam Richardson thinks that standing in formal hall is part of being a member of a community

Why stand at formal hall? The reason is exactly that vilified by Sean; because everyone else does it. We should sacrifice a little individuality for a little community. The reason for this is connected with the very purpose of hall itself. It was a way to bring all the members of college, high and low, to the same place so ideas could be shared. It transformed an association of like-minded individuals into a true community, with its own set of ideals, memories and rituals.

Oriel College is an ancient institution and so unsurprisingly its community rituals may seem arcane to us. Yet until relatively recently the Christian faith both united and defined the Oriel community, and communal grace was a natural part of this. Likewise the ‘extreme deference’ of silence, however distasteful, is a remnant of a hierarchical order of the past. These are integral parts of the Oriel Formal, giving it, and the wider college, a distinct identity. Preserving this identity requires a level of social pressure, otherwise the college would become nothing more than the sum of its parts. But for Sean, individuality is inviolable; and anything that threatens it must be destroyed.

Let’s explore his suggestions. Imagine we replaced Formal Hall with a canteen system. People congregate in small groups, ignoring the rest, eat quickly and return to the solitude of their rooms. No grace is allowed; individual opinions are placed ahead of group ideals. It’s logical, efficient and non-offensive to individual sensibilities. Not to mention soulless. Without community you don’t get freedom; you get atomisation.

Atomisation is the process by which society literally falls apart. And it’s happening all around us. Headphones on, door locked, we sit alone in our rooms counting our number of online virtual friends. It has a detrimental effect on our work, as we’re unable to hear the opinions of others, and is a major welfare issue, as we feel less able to discuss our problems. Hall, bops and other such events play a crucial part in combating atomisation within the student body.

Formal Hall epitomises what is best about this place; the ability to involve students in a communal way of living and thinking, thus challenging their own self-interest. It helps create a support network that helps students far beyond graduation. A little conformity, and a little dampening of the ego, is surely a price worth paying.

2 Responses to "Debate: Should you stand in formal hall?"

1. Diaz  05/12/2011 at 17:02

I agree: I believe standing up in formal hall is amongst the most deplorable of sins, unless your parents are in attendance for guest night.

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: +1 (from 1 vote)
  2. Pingback: Debate on ‘Should you stand in hall?’: Proposal | Logic and Sins