Golden Globes: George Clooney and The Artist glitter

The 2012 Golden Globes, the self-proclaimed drunker version of the Academy Awards and often the biggest hint as to who will win the coveted Oscar, took place on Sunday night and confirmed the award-winning credentials of silent film The Artist and actor George Clooney. The Artist won three Golden Globes: Best Motion Picture-Comedy/Musical, Best Actor in a Comedy/Musical for Jean DuJardin, and Best Original Score for Ludovic Bource. Mr. Clooney received the Best Actor in Motion Picture-Drama award for his role in The Descendants, which also won the Best Motion Picture-Drama award. After Sunday night, it seems that both The Artist and The Descendants are the two favorites to win the Best Picture Oscar while George Clooney is the frontrunner for Best Actor.

Meryl Streep won the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Motion Picture-Drama for her depiction of Margaret Thatcher in The Iron Lady, further proof of the HFPA’s obsession with Streep and the fact that one can garner critical claim in a very mediocre film. Michelle Williams was Streep’s counterpart in winning the award for Best Actress in a Motion Picture-Comedy/Musical for her depiction of Marilyn Monroe in My Week with Marilyn.

While I would have loved to see comic actor Albert Brooks honored for his intense turn as Ryan Gosling’s enemy in Drive, it was not to be. Christopher Plummer won Best Supporting Actor for Beginners and Octavia Spencer won Best Supporting Actress for The Help. After much pre-awards show buzz, this award was the only one The Help picked up, casting doubt over whether it will do much better at the Academy Awards in February.

Woody Allen finally received the recognition he deserves by receiving the Best Screenplay Golden Globe for the wonderful Midnight in Paris, one of the most original films of the year. Martin Scorsese won the award for Best Director for Hugo, Scorsese’s first attempt at a family film. While Mr. Scorsese is most definitely not guaranteed to win the Oscar, this win increases his chances against War Horse’s Steven Spielberg and The Descendant’s Alexander Payne.

Overall, it would seem that The Descendants is the heavy Oscar favorite with The Artist at a close second. We shall see in a few weeks if the feelings of the Academy, whose nominations are released January 24, echo those of the HFPA.

January 2012
S M T W T F S
« Dec   Feb »
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  

One Response to "Golden Globes: George Clooney and The Artist glitter"

1. Pingback: Golden Globes: George Clooney and The Artist glitter – Oxford Student | George Clooney