Robbers caught on camera

Thames Valley Police have released CCTV footage of last month’s bank robbery in Summertown.

The footage shows two cars parked outside the Lloyds TSB in Banbury Road early on 19th January. Detectives said that the black hatchback and silver Vauxhall Zafira were pictured outside the bank at around 7.30am. Both cars then left in the direction of the city centre shortly after 8am.

The police also revealed that the robbers had a knife during the half-an-hour long raid, but the manager was not threatened with it.

Det Sgt Matt Jarman, from the Thames Valley Police, said: “I am hoping the images will help jog people’s memories as I am still appealing for witnesses to come forward. We are continuing to examine CCTV footage in the area. No arrests have been made as yet, but the inquiry is progressing.”

Police said the bank, as a member of the British Bankers Association, could offer a reward of up to £25,000 for information leading to the arrest of the people responsible for the robbery.

Andrew Foo, a third-year lawyer at St John’s said: “This piece of news, like the weather these days, is rather chilling. It happened so close to St John’s and really casts a shadow on the serenity of this idyllic university town. I’m glad that the police are doing something about it and hopefully they can bury this Banbury incident quickly.”

Oxford has recently been hit by a spate of robberies. On Sunday evening, a 23-year-old man was a victim of an armed robbery in East Oxford. The man was walking along Rectory Road when he was assaulted and stabbed in the leg by three men who stole his mobile phone and wallet.

A resident of Regent Street in East Oxford said: “It is worrying that there has been a rise in the incidences of armed violence in Oxford these days. It truly is a sign of the times we live in – with the dire economic situation and the high unemployment.

“I think I’ll just have to keep extra vigilant when I go out now and also avoid coming home late at night. But then again I worry about the safety of my own home. If Lloyds can be robbed, nothing is safe these days. Hopefully the police will tighten the security of the city.”

About

'Robbers caught on camera' has no comments

Be the first to comment this post!