Dons elected to Royal Society

Two university academics have been elected to the Royal Society this week.

Professor Ian Walmsley, a fellow at St Hugh’s, has been elected to the prestigious society, a fellowship of the world’s most eminent scientists and the oldest scientific academy in continuous existence.

Professor Walmsley is currently Hooke Professor of Experimental Physics and Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research at Oxford. His research interests are in the areas of ultra-fast optics and quantum optics, where he has made a number of significant contributions, including pioneering experimental work.

As Pro-Vice-Chancellor Professor Walmsley chairs the University’s Research Committee and is responsible for coordinating the University’s relationships with its major research funders. He also oversees the University’s libraries, museums and collections and its language teaching service.

Professor Dominic David Joyce of the Mathematical Institute, and a Senior Research Fellow at Lincoln College, was also elected this week to the Royal Society. His research is in the areas of differential geometry, algebraic geometry, and symplectic geometry.

Current fellows of the society include the Oxford alumnus Richard Dawkins, Stephen Hawking and Tim Berners-Lee .

The appointment was made from a group of over 700 candidates, from which 44 Fellows, 8 Foreign Members and up to 1 Honorary Fellow are elected.

A St Hugh’s DPhil student said: “Professor Walmsley truly deserves the honour as an incredibly capable scientist, wondrously intelligent – and above all, very kind – man”, adding that “he has revolutionised the field of quantum computation”.

A University spokesperson said: “It’s always a pleasure to see Oxford’s world class academics get recognized for their work. This is one of very many prizes and distinctions that are awarded throughout the year.”

Share/Bookmark