Third year English student and author extraordinaire Samantha Shannon-Jones.

Student author sells film rights

St Anne’s student novelist Samantha Shannon-Jones has confirmed the sale of the film and TV rights of her soon-to-be-released series of books The Bone Season.

The rights were purchased, for an undisclosed price, by Imaginarium Studios who focus largely on the use of ‘performance capture’ technology, and have worked on Peter Jackson’s King Kong as well as Rupert Wyatt’s Rise of the Planet of the Apes. The studio is co-owned owned by actor Andy Serkis, best know for his portrayal of Gollum in Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and Jonathan Cavendish, producer of Bridget Jones.

Shannon-Jones, who signed a six-figure book deal for The Bone Season with Bloomsbury last May spoke to The Oxford Student of her excitement about the film deal:

“I’m thrilled to be working with Imaginarium to make The Bone Season into a film. Having consultation rights means this will be a collaborative project – I’ll be involved every step of the way. Andy and Jonathan are incredibly passionate about the book, and I’m looking forward to working with them to bring the story to life. I couldn’t have asked for a more experienced and dedicated team. “

Set in the year 2059, The Bone Season is a seven-book series which centres upon the 19-year-old clairvoyant Paige Mahoney who leaves her life in the dystopian criminal underworld of London when she is kidnapped and taken to Oxford, a city thought to have been lost for 200 years.

Co-owner of The Imaginarium Studios, and ‘The Lord of the Rings’ star, Andy Serkis

Serkis said “The dystopian world created by Samantha in ‘The Bone Season’ series offers a fantastic setting for a truly extraordinary and thrilling narrative, we are honoured that she chose to collaborate with us in the adaptation of her work.”

Shannon-Jones is currently in her third year studying English.

'Student author sells film rights' have 1 comment

1. 25/10/2012 @ 21:33 Anonymous

That is amazing! Major congrats, Samantha–from all of us in the Creative Writing MSt, even the ones who may not know . . . YET! We definitely don’t know each other. But one Oxonian girl to another, I am so proud of ya’ x