Oxford profs recognised in New Year’s Honours

Five professors from various Oxford colleges were recognised by the Queen in this year’s New Year’s Honours list, it was announced on the 29th November.

The University can now count another knight and dame amongst its staff, along with three more CBEs.

Exeter College led the way on the list this year, with two of its fellows being recognised. Professor Carol Robinson, Dr Lee’s Professor of Chemistry, was honoured with a damehood, while Professor Raymond Dwek was awarded a CBE.

A spokesperson from Exeter said: “We are very proud. This shows the college’s strong commitment to science and to academic excellence.”

Dame Robinson has made major advances on the application of mass spectroscopy to the analysis of proteins. The Conway Group, a research group in the Department of Chemistry, tweeted immediately after the announcement: “Congratulations to Dame Carol Robinson #NYhonours.”

Fellow Exonian Professor Dwek was honoured for his services to British-Israeli scientific collaboration, and particularly his work on biotechnology in the Negev desert. Professor Dwek said: “I’ve always believed that science is a force of peace. It makes such a difference and plays an important role in dialogue.”

Meanwhile, Professor Hew Strachan, a Fellow of All Souls and Chichele Professor of the History of War, was knighted for his services to the Ministry of Defence. Along with writing and filming TV documentaries largely about the First World War, Sir Strachan is a member of various military panels, including the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and the Taskforce on the Military Covenant.

Fellows of Magdalen and Worcester were also recognised this year. Professor David Clark was appointed CBE for his research into mental health, which has led to the development of new cognitive therapy for various conditions. Professor Judith Freedman joins him as a CBE. Her work on corporate taxation has led her to recommend the introduction of a general anti-abuse rule in the UK.

A spokesperson from Oxford University said: “The regular appearance of Oxford University academics on the honours lists confirms the wide-ranging contribution that members of the collegiate University make to public life.”

Share/Bookmark