OUSU President’s email consigned to junk folder

David TownsendMany students were denied their weekly dose of David J Townsend after a glitch meant that the OUSU President’s email was sent to recipients’ junk folders.

Townsend’s updates have become a staple of students’ inboxes, however the Australian’s marathon expositions of Oxford goings-on were relegated to the nether regions of Nexus.

Described by Townsend as a “bit of a longish email”, the piece, accompanied by a link to a video of a song entitled ‘Happy Days Are Here Again’, included details of the Vietnamese Society’s Film Night and a new opt-in mailing list for mature students. However, for the majority of students, these announcements would have gone unnoticed.

One student, who wished to be described only as ‘The Ceilidh King of Oxford’, was angered that a notice advertising Monastery of Sound, an Oxide Radio Show social event featuring the musical stylings of the Rockall Ceilidh Band, was labelled as junk.

He said: “What a travesty that what I can only assume to be Townsend’s incompetence would deny ceilidh lovers to join my groove.”

Other students were more mixed in their reaction to the mishap. Daniel Bregman, a Merton second-year, said: “It’s entirely to be expected that computer systems developed in Oxford should exhibit wry sarcasm before the ability to do anything useful.”

Henry Tonks, a historian at Corpus Christi was nonplussed: “Well, I already had the notices going to junk anyway, so I didn’t notice.”

Townsend was unavailable for  comment. The Oxford Student’s spam filter was checked to ensure that nothing had been sent there by mistake.

February 2013
S M T W T F S
« Jan   Mar »
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
2425262728