OxStu Sports’ round-up of the winter’s sporting action

Miles Dilworth collates comments from around the university’s sports teams to review Michaelmas and Hilary

Men’s Rugby

Season Summary: The Blues ended the season with more defeats (9) than victories (6), but it is hard to judge their season based on results alone.

Season Highlight: A stirring second-half comeback to beat Cambridge in the Varsity game

Samson Egerton scores against the Army

Samson Egerton scores against the Army

Star Player(s): Samson Egerton was the winner of Alastair Hignall medal at the Varsity match.

Rating/in three words: 8/10

by Miles Dilworth

Women’s Rugby

Season summary: Finished fourth in the BUCS Premiership South, helped by a combination of experienced girls and talented newcomers.

Season Highlight: The first double Varsity victory since 2004. In hard-fought matches the Blues and Panthers each came away from Grange Road with a win.

Rating/in 3 words: 7. Double shoe!

by Tatiana Cutts OUWRFC captain

Men’s Rugby League

Season summary: Blues finished 2nd in BUCS Premier South, with three good wins over Brookes.

Season highlight: Smashing Tabs 32-4

Rating/in 3 words: 8. On the shelf.

by James Baker OURLFC

Men’s Football

Season summary: Successful despite Varsity defeat. Blues won promotion, dominating their league to finish with more than double the points of their nearest rivals.

Season highlight: A fantastic 2-2 draw against Atletico Madrid U18.

Captain Sam Donald celebrates victory over Brookes

Star Player(s): Current captain Sam Donald, top-scorer Julian Austin and defensive stalwart Anthony
Beddows.

Rating/in three words: 7/10

by Alex Biggs OUAFC secretary

Women’s Football

Season summary: Can’t do much more of a summary other than relegated, no wins, two draws, lost Varsity.

Star player(s): Lucie Bowden, Hannah Griffiths and Alison Feder

Rating/in three words: New players, rebuilding.

by Kim Kilmartin OUWAFC captain

Men’s Hockey

Season summary: The Blues had a breakthrough season this year, finishing 2nd in the South Prem, narrowly missing out on promotion to the National League. We also finished 3rd in a very competitive BUCS league.

Star player(s): Thomas Stubbs and newly-acquired Rupert Allison

by Ollie Sugg, OUHC

Women’s Hockey

Season summary: We reached second in the BUCS league and fourth in the South Women’s Hockey League. Defeat to Cambridge is an unfair reflection of two previous victories over them during the season.

Season highlight: Beating the top of the league team 3-0, a team who had previously been undefeated.

Star player(s): Lorna Dunning for her commitment and great captaincy throughout the season.

Rating/in three words: 9. Tough, fun, successful.

Women’s Lacrosse

Season summary: Training hard each week earned an 8-5 Varsity victory. Semi-finals of BUCS.

Season highlight: beating the top of the league team 3-0, a team who had previously been undefeated.

Star player(s): Gina Allchorn, Becs Kalderon, Beth Denham and Mo Sykes

by Ellie Hinde OUWLC

Men’s Badminton

Season summary: Oxford men’s badminton had an excellent season, with the first team coming middle of the Premier League.

Season highlight: Varsity hammering of Tabs 14-1

The Men's Badminton side enjoyed a successful season

The Men’s Badminton side enjoyed a successful season

Rating/in three words: 9. Fun, competitive, victorious.

by Michael Senior OUBaC captain

Women’s Badminton

Season summary: Top in the BUCS Midlands 2B league, earning promotion to the first division, in addition to finishing top of the local women’s doubles division two. Despite an unusually high number of injuries, the team have improved a great deal .

Season highlight: Varsity match with an impressive 15-0 victory thanks to brilliant individual performances and great team spirit.

Star player(s): Rachel Kenny and Charlie Cutler, each playing in their last Varsity match for Oxford, demonstrated especially gritty determination in their doubles against Cambridge.

Rating/in three words: 10. Confident, determined, successful.

by Kathryn Hunt, OUWBaC
Cross Country

Season Summary: OUCCC’s season didn’t get off to the best start. Despite some incredible individual performances and a spectacular victory for the Women’s Second Team, both Blues teams were unfortunately beaten at the Varsity match back in Michaelmas.

However, the Club headed to Leeds for a very muddy BUCS Cross Country Championships in Hilary. The main issue was keeping upright at times, but we showed them what OUCCC was made of with the Men’s A team coming 9th, the Men’s B team 7th and the Women 15th.

Season highlight: The relay events. At Hyde Park Relays, the men’s team came 2nd in tense race – beating the Tabs by 30 seconds! While the women, with only five girls to make up two four-(wo)man teams, finished in a solid 4th and 5th place. To round off the season, the club dominated our own event, the Teddy Hall Relays. Not only was it a great success and great fundraiser, but OUCCC won both the women’s and the mixed race, and the men’s team finished second.

Ratong/in 3 words: 7/10

by Naomi Webber OUCCC

Swimming

Season summary: We then qualified for the BUCS top division finals and came 5th; the highest placing we have ever achieved at BUCS.

Season highlight: Winning Varsity 117-63, the biggest winning margin ever.

Star player(s): Naomi Vides, a Hertford fresher, who has picked up an incredible 9 University records this year, and Cody Duncan at Balliol, who has claimed 5 University records.

Rating/in 3 words: 10/10, as we really couldn’t have been much more awesome.

by Jamie Jurkiewicz OUSC Captain

Men’s Basketball

Season summary: We had strong performances on the court, overwhelming team commitment and great participation at the college and seconds level. Both Men’s and Women’s Blues teams finished in the middle of the Premier South (and will play there again next year). Varsity was split: Wins by the women’s blues and men’s twos and losses by the men’s blues and women’s twos.

Season highlight: Women’s blues went to the BUCS Final 8s.

Rating/in 3 words: 8. Scrappy, fun, commitment.

by Tim Weil, Men’s Basketball Captain

Men’s Boxing

Season summary: OUABC had a great season this year with a narrow loss at Town vs Gown and a 6 -3 victory  in the 106th Varsity boxing match. With the match held in Cambridge for the first time in 10 years and strong home support OUABC had to win convincingly in every bout to get a decision.

OUABC were defeated in the Town vs Gown contest

Star player(s): Notable Varsity performances came from seasoned veteran James Watson with a first round K.O. and newcomer Harry Miller to clinch victory with the score standing at 4 – 3.

Season Rating 10/10.

Summary from out head coach Dave Mace: Best Varsity victory I’ve had.

by Michael Davis, OUABC Captain

PHOTOS/Matt Handley; Jonny Beech