Fashion

All We Want for Christmas: The Editors’ Sartorial Wish List

So, you’ve made it to the end of Michaelmas Term. Congratulations! For your information and enjoyment, here is The Oxford Student’s ultimate Christmas Wish List compiled by your tried and tested fashion editors.  Read on to avoid any Christmas-themed faux pas or fashion mishaps. After all, you’ve had enough to worry about this term and have more than earned a little helping hand.  Enjoy.

Ellie Grange and Fred Shan:

editorspics

Winter Warmer

Ellie: Zara Duffle Coat. The coat is no longer the item to be hastily slung onto your host’s sofa or consigned to a crammed closet when you arrive at a university house party. The coat can be a statement in itself.  A Zara duffle coat is incredibly comfortable and practical for everyday use around Oxford as well as stylish and complementary to any outfit: in other words, never ever going to let you down.

Fred: Zara White Three Quarter Length Coat with Fur Hood.  There are far too many black trench-coats milling around the streets of Oxford in winter. Be different and inject some brightness into the ever shortening afternoons. This coat allows for easy movement whether it’s walking or on bikes and the fur-lined hood works as both an ornament to the plain coloured jacket and an additional barrier to the chills of December. With this white coat, I personally promise you will stand out from the crowd, in a good way.

zaracoat  zaracoatMEN

Bit on the Side

Ellie: Christmas Earrings.  Everyone needs jewellery, and this is especially true in winter when that extra something can really light up an outfit on a drab and dreary day.  Christmas themed earrings never go unappreciated when they flash or make traffic stop with their lashings of glitter and jollity.

Fred: Urban Outfitters Christmas Scarf in Red and Grey.  A warm coloured winter scarf is an absolute must to survive those dark rides to the Schools or labs. This Christmas themed scarf is the best alternative to a patterned jumper, which is obnoxious and should be left in the attic where it belongs.

Xmas Tree Earrings UOscarf

Christmas Casual

Ellie: Topman jumpers.  These gems should never be underestimated as applicable winter attire for guys AND for gals. Oversized and warm you are unlikely to ever feel lonely or taciturn in this item’s wholesome and fluffy embrace, complete with lively colours and patterns.

Fred: Zara Jacquard Sweater.  An alternative to the classic Christmas jumper. The lighter colour and pattern combination go easy on the eyes and provides a refreshing change to the usual red and orange jumpers which currently dominate the scene.

topman jumpers    zarajumperMEN

Christmas Parties

Ellie: River Island Waist Draped Dress.  Something elegant and simple will work wonders at any Christmas party or dinner. The sophisticated cut of the new waist draped dresses from River Island makes them glamorous and unpretentious: avoiding the garish colours and excess of other more boastful party dresses.

Fred: Zara Double Breasted Blazer with Embroidered Dragons.  A rather pricey option, however Zara is known for its quality blazers and this one is certainly a worthy investment. The double breasted has been neglected for too long and the oriental embroidered cuffs here add dressiness to the otherwise commonplace blazer.

RI dress    zarablazerMEN

Footwear

Ellie: Dr. Martens are a bold move but not one you are likely to regret. These kicks can be found second-hand online by any conscientious shopper and can be ordered already broken-in so you save on time and money.  Guaranteed to keep your feet warm and dry in the coming dark winter days as well as working as appropriate footwear for any outfit.

Fred: Zara Felt Boots.  Winter is certainly the time to bring out the boots. These grunge-looking boots with felt lining both emit a manly, cool biker vibe, as well as providing comfort for the heels. Hopefully waterproof.

DMs  zaraBootsMEN

Beauty product

Ellie: Lush King of the Mods.  Winter is famously tough on your hair: the cold and dry air can be hazardous, working to blight your sartorial efforts with a flat hair style. You don’t have to be defeated. Resist the hair hate with King of the Mods hair cream from Lush.  Lemon scented, this zesty product will liven up your hair as a soft hold gel without making it sticky or erratic as well as making sure you smell delicious.

Fred: L’Oreal Men Expert Hydra Energetic Daily Moisturiser 50ml.  This is probably the best men’s moisturiser out there. A vital part of your wash bag this winter. Given the dryness of the weather, the moisturiser is necessary for keeping the face and hands free from cracks. It also has a slight minty sting to it when applied and helps along those early starts. Best to be used straight after shaving.

lushproduct  productMENS

IMAGES:

www.zara.com

http://wireworkersguild.blogspot.co.uk

magazine.topman.com

www.riverisland.com

en.wikipedia.org

www.lush.co.uk

http://www.urbanoutfitters.co.uk/

www.mankind.co.uk