Varsity coaches crash in France

Two coaches carrying students home from the Oxford-Cambridge Varsity ski trip in Tignes have crashed.

The accident took place just north of Dijon and is believed to have been caused by black ice.

Reports suggest that there were no serious injuries as a result of the crash.

According to a student on the second coach, the first coach slid to a stop and crashed into a barrier, leaving it at a right angle to the road. The second coach then swerved into the same position, resulting in the crash.

Benjamin Sullivan, a student at Christ Church and a passenger on one of the buses involved in the collision, told the Oxford Student that “at around 3am French time I awoke to the sound of our coach driver shouting and my friend across the aisle staring intently at the road yelling ‘oh my god’.”

Sullivan added that “it is appalling that the road had evidently not been gritted at all – members of the emergency services slipped while attempting to walk from their vehicles. Despite being extremely startled and angry, I know how lucky we are it was not much worse and am very grateful to our driver for managing to cushion the collision.”

Tom Rimmer, a first year physicist at Magdalen, was travelling in a coach behind the vehicles which collided. He said: “We didn’t really know what was happening at first. We were really worried because we had waited for such a long time without information. When I heard that my friends were all right I was very relieved.”

The accident happened at 3.05am French time. Following the collision there were delays of up to five hours on the road. One coach suffered serious damage and is now believed to be a write off.

About

'Varsity coaches crash in France' have 10 comments

1. 14/12/2013 @ 20:19 Dave. Forster

Just glad all are ok, a big well done to the drivers, maybe now people will see why they call us professional drivers…..

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: +6 (from 6 votes)

2. 14/12/2013 @ 20:26 steve bridge

Ewell done to the drivers for avoiding a potentially fatal accident. Hope all students got home safe

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: +2 (from 2 votes)

3. 14/12/2013 @ 22:51 Anonymous

Glad everyone is in there own beds tonight . One off the many drivers who drive back last night

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: +2 (from 2 votes)

4. 15/12/2013 @ 00:28 AK

Absolute respect for and thanks to the driver of the second coach. I was a passenger, and what he did to avoid a serious collision was truly incredible. Without his skill and cool, I along with many others would have been quite literally flattened.

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: +7 (from 7 votes)

5. 15/12/2013 @ 09:12 Anonymous

That’s why we shouldn’t be driving at night roads not gritted again typical French

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: -1 (from 3 votes)

6. 15/12/2013 @ 09:34 Anonymous

dave, never got to thank you, but you did a great job.

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: +5 (from 5 votes)

7. 15/12/2013 @ 18:22 steve m

Coaches should never leave a ski resort at night

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: -1 (from 1 vote)

8. 21/12/2013 @ 20:21 Guy

Our coach lost traction whilst loading passengers and slid on black ice outside our hotel in Tignes earlier this year. We too were lucky to avoid injury. The travel company looked into the matter and were satisfied that steps would be taken to avoid a similar incident !

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)

9. 22/12/2013 @ 00:55 anon

well as a driver from one of the companies involved, really happy that everyone came out of it unscathed. if all students can see what we see every single year doing ski trips they will realise why we don’t tolerate them being drunk on board coaches. we have a very hard job doing these trips and im always thankful when I get to destinations without problems. glad everyone is ok though. safe journeys to everyone this year.

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: +1 (from 1 vote)

10. 26/12/2013 @ 22:24 Anonymous

Really pleased everyone was ok I drove passed this incident on the way to val thorens it certainly makes people believe how difficult our job can be

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)