Match Reports

RAF Defeated By Blues In Full Flight

Harry Noad reports as the Blues record a convincing victory over the RAF at Iffley Road

Oxford 36 – 16 RAF
OURFC recording a convincing victory over the RAF at Iffley Road this week. For some time the RAF looked set to capitalise on a sluggish Oxford, quickly picking up a penalty three points from Andy Byrne. However, Oxford counterattacked with an impressive run from Matt Janney (Oriel) followed by an offload to Jacob Taylor (Keble) to finish between the posts, and summarily converting his own try. The Airmen followed close on the heels of the score with a penalty of their own from Bryne, which was left unanswered until near on half-time when OURFC demonstrated some classic close play from the forwards, with St. Peter’s Zandy Macdonald taking the ball at 8 from a well driven scrum and scoring, with Taylor again in good form for the conversion.
At the outset of the second half, the RAF were struggling under the weight of two yellow cards, and Oxford began to press the advantage. Scoring opened with Henry Hughes (Magdalen) at outside centre finishing up a good run of offloads through a disorganised defense, Taylor converting. Shortly thereafter Janney went over again through an increasingly haggard back line, Taylor continuing to keep the points topped up. Fresher Chris Williams (University) scored again for OURFC, followed by Taylor’s first failure to convert of the evening. As the binned men returned, the Servicemen rallied, with hooker St Philpott going over for a driven try at close range which remained unconverted. Both sides took this time to make some reshuffles, with OURFC bringing on hooker Alex Koo (St John’s), flanker Anthony Kalindjian (St Peter’s), flanker Harry Beale (Magdalen), winger Sam Dumigan (Pembroke) and flanker Jack Calvert (St Edmund Hall). With play drawing to a close, Dumigan, who made all told an excellent debut, threw a looping pass to Pietie Olivier (Keble) to finish in the corner. However, it would be the visiting side who would have the last laugh, with winger Toby Mann rounding off a solid run of phases with a try out wide.