Featured Stories

Investigation: Oxford students speak out about porn habits

At the beginning of 2014, Pornhub, one of the world’s largest porn websites, released statistics that revealed the most popular search terms countries and cities within the United Kingdom.

These search terms reflect what users actively search for, giving the general population an insight into the porn habits of the country as a whole, as well as the habits of inhabitants of specific English cities.

Within England, the most popular search terms were “British”, “Lisa Ann” (an American pornstar particularly renowned for her role as Sarah Palin in the porn film ‘Who’s Nailin’ Palin?’), “lesbian”, “MILF” (informal, stands for ‘Mother I’d Like to F**k) and “Indian”.

As compared to the majority of cities in England, “MILF” was more popular than “lesbian”, while “British” and “Lisa Ann” remained among the top search terms. Interestingly, Oxford was the only place in England where “casting”, a type of porn depicting an audition for an adult film, was in the top searched-for terms.

The Preview Show decided to conduct a survey of Oxford students, in order to see how many students say that they watch porn, but more specifically to investigate the popularity of Oxford’s top five search terms amongst the student population.

In our survey of 248 Oxford students, conducted via ‘Survey Monkey’, 71.8% of all students said that they watched porn. Broken down, this amounted to 90.2% of male self-identifying students saying they did so, against 51.2% of female self-identifying students.

Rank Pornhub’s Oxford Stats Oxford Students (Overall) Male-identifying Female-identifying
1 British Lesbian (56.8%) Lesbian (59%) Lesbian (52%)
2 Lisa Ann MILF (32%) MILF (43%) MILF (9%)
3 MILF British (26.4%) British (36%) British (7%)
4 Lesbian Lisa Ann (13.6%) Lisa Ann (18%) Casting (7%)
5 Casting Casting (12.8%) Casting (16%) Lisa Ann (4%)

–        Note: the percentages refer to the amount of porn-watching students who said they had searched for each term specifically and individually

“Lesbian” was the most popular search term amongst both genders individually, in contrast with its 4th place position within the city. However, this term was overwhelmingly popular with females when compared to the other search terms – almost 6 times as many of our participants had searched for “lesbian” compared to “MILF”.

Similar percentages of students had searched for “lesbian” –a 7% difference – between genders, yet this was not the case for the rest of the search terms.

“MILF” was more frequently searched by the student population than by the city as a whole, with the city’s most popular term “British” coming third in student searches.

“Lisa Ann” was also less popular, but “casting” remained, with Oxford students, the least searched of the five most popular Pornhub terms.

Students also searched for other specific terms – 47.6% of females said that they search for topics outside the top five, as did 50.6% of males. Further investigation into these searches would, possibly, reveal the top five search terms for the University as a whole, as its apparent that terms such as “Lisa Ann” and “casting” are less popular with the student body than with the city.

The Preview Show decided to do a documentary on these findings. Here is the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LqfJA8AQ6Q

2 Comments

2 Comments

1. VICE Chancellor

18th June 2014 at 21:16

I’m single handedly responsible for Oxford’s pornography watching statistics. Sorry guys. ‘Casting’ is just a phase of mine. Promise.

2. Karin

10th July 2014 at 19:29

Legal “teen pornography” is, according to various studies, the most popular kind of porn. This is not surprising from a biological standpoint (highest fertility etc.). Professor Tromovitch has assembled (in these two posters below) the more surprising results of various studies regarding the high prevalence of paedophilic and hebephilic attractions (latent or “blatant”) among men:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44284820/Prevalence%20-%20Trom%201.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44284820/Prevalence%20-%20Trom%202.JPG