College Sport

Somerville defeat Brasenose in thrilling Cricket Cuppers final

(Photo from top left to bottom right: Cameron Fern, Daniel Khan, Prannay Kaul, Gus Gayford, George Galla, Matthew Evans, Tom Lambert, Will Yates, Sam Packer (c), Vivek Lodhia, Sanesh Mistry, Tom Smith)

Somerville College today added to their highly successful year of sport as the Cricket Club defeated Brasenose by three runs in a final over thriller at University Parks.

Having convincingly beaten defending champions New/St. Hilda’s in the semi-final earlier in the day, Somerville faced Brasenose in the final.   Batting first, Somerville could only manage a mediocre 123 runs in 20 overs, with openers Sam Packer and George Galla topping the scorecard by hitting 25 and 20 respectively.

Brasenose put on a well constructed chase including some impressive individual performances, but Somerville were able to contain the Brasenose batsmen. Prannay Kaul, Sam Packer and Tom Smith took wickets at crucial times, George Galla and Gus Gayford both took huge catches in the closing overs and rivals for selection as wicket keeper, Dan Khan and Tom Lambert, both provided excellent chat to go with some impressive fielding.

Brasenose eventually required 17 runs from the final two overs, but a fantastic penultimate over from Vivek Lodhia yielded just two runs for Brasenose, meaning 15 was required from the final over. College poster boy Tom Smith was left to bowl out an incredibly intense final over, which included a well hit six, but Somerville hung on to eventually come out on top by three runs and take the cuppers title.

After the match, Captain Sam Packer said in a Somerville bar press conference, “As a finalist I have never been more proud. In my first two years we had never won a Cuppers game, let alone got anywhere near winning. Some of us had played some uni cricket but this trumps all of that. Somerville is not really known for its sport, but this year has proven that this should not be the case.’

Cricket Cuppers victory adds to the college’s sporting success this year, as the Netball team took Cuppers victory and the Men’s Rugby team won Division Two in an undefeated league campaign and reached the Cuppers Plate final.

11426372_850148688401422_432995218561151018_n

Images provided by Kate Ross