2016 Boat Race Presidents Elected

The Presidents for the famous Oxford-Cambridge Boat Race have recently been announced. Henry Hoffstot and Hannah Roberts have been elected for the Cambridge clubs, and will attempt to overturn a run of consecutive Oxford wins.

Henry Hoffstot will be in his third season at the CUBC, twice having stroked the Cambridge Blue Boat.  The summer before arriving at Cambridge, Henry won the Britannia Challenge Cup at Henley Royal Regatta in 2013 and then went on to earn a seat in the USA coxed pair for the 2014 World Championships in Amsterdam – between his Light Blue seasons.  At 24 he will be one of the most experienced BNY Mellon Boat Race athletes.

20 year old Hannah Roberts will go into the next season at Cambridge as President of the CUWBC.  A Natural Scientist studying at Jesus College, this will be Hannah’s third Newton Women’s Boat Race season having twice rowed in the Blondie crew.  British student Hannah learned to row at Grosvenor Rowing Club in Chester through a learn to row scheme, which aims to bring rowing to a wider audience.

Their counterparts in Oxford will be Morgan Gerlak and Maddy Badcott, aiming to guide their clubs to a fourth successive victory, which hasn’t happened in The Boat Race since the 1990s.

Morgan Gerlak will go into his second year at Oxford having won the Isis-Goldie Reserve Boat Race in 2015.  He too will look to earn his first Blue whilst President, having already claimed an U23 World Championship Bronze medal in the USA coxless four in 2013.  A graduate of Brown University, he won silver at the IRAs in 2012 and 2014.  Now 23, he is studying for an MBA at Keble College.

Maddy Badcott is going into her final year of studying English at Wadham College and returns after victory in The 2015 Newton Women’s Boat Race.  Maddy learned to row at Lea Rowing Club, picking up medals at the National Schools’ Regatta and the British Championships ultimately earned a seat in the Great Britain women’s double scull at the Coupe de la Jeunesse in 2013 – winning gold.  She also learned to row through community programmes.

The gruelling training now commences for the four crews in the build up to the 162nd Boat Race and the 71st Women’s Boat Race on Sunday 27th March 2016.

PHOTO/Laurence Arnold