Fashion

The Evolution of Red Lipstick

Steve Snodgrass_redlips

Sexy. Bold. Iconic. The red lip is a statement and as such both divides and conquers. Yet, it holds an eternal appeal which is not simply tied to the famous faces that have created the aura which surrounds this iconic colour.

It makes up an essential part of the image of many celebrities, such as Taylor Swift, but its history stretches back much further than contemporary artists.

The red lipstick is not just to be worn on a night out. Just look at Solange Knowles, who looks stunning with a red lip which off-sets the pure white beauty of her caped wedding gown. My history tutor wears red lipstick as part of her daily look. Indeed, it can even distract from

In fact, red is my favourite colour

Bold lip colours can automatically give confidence…. Unfortunately if amusingly, they can be a bit of hazard as well as unless you get a magical lipstick which somehow doesn’t come off on anything. Glasses, cups, mugs, cutlery, other people’s face, in short anything that comes into contact with your lips is liable to be marked. If you’re not aware of this and take the necessary precautions, i.e. cleaning the face of your beloved after a make-out session then you can end with an interesting situation. By which I mean coming back from a night out with your beau and decide to go to Hassan’s where you find your friends. This is a lovely coincidence until one of them points out that said beau is currently also wearing lipstick around his mouth and on his cheek.

In summary, don’t be afraid to make bold lipstick choices, some people may judge you but people who judge you on your lipstick are probably not the kind of people with whom you want to be hanging out. It’s all a bit The Devil Wears Prada.