College

Jamie Vardy now an honorary member of Brasenose JCR

Brasenose College has voted to award Leicester City and England footballer Jamie Vardy honorary membership of its JCR and invite him to apply for the position of Ball President at its most recent GM last week.

The JCR noted in its motion that: “Jamie is the man who climbed the ladder from non-league football to the Premier League is now currently the league’s top scorer (sic) and on current form is the most dangerous player around.

His pace gives defenders nightmares and he is pulling goals and assists out of his backside.”

“Jamie loves to throw a party; if the position of Ball President hasn’t been filled by Sunday then I am sure he would love to run for it.”

Will Feerick, who seconded the motion said this when contacted: “Jamie Vardy likes parties and we are having a party in the near future this is all I have to say on the matter.”

The motion passed with 34 votes in favour, two against and with 14 abstaining.

However, not all students were that impressed with the outcome. Louis Trupia, a second year student at Brasenose requested that the JCR award membership to the television personality and comedian Sandi Toksvig. Speaking to the Oxford Student, he said: “Basically we voted against a motion like this before because no one had heard of the guy and I just thought I hadn’t heard of Jamie Vardy but had heard of Sandi Toksvig and was going to see her two days later at QI so could approach her there.”

The awarding of honorary JCR membership caps a brilliant season for Vardy, which has seen him win the Barclay’s Premier League with Leicester and reach second in the Premier League scoring charts with 24 goals, breaking the record for scoring in consecutive games across an 11 game spree between August and November 2015. This scoring run has also seen him force his way into England consideration for the upcoming European Championships.

Throughout the season Vardy became something of a cult hero through fans’ perception of him as a party animal, with Leicester fans adopting the chant ‘Jamie Vardy’s having a party’ to pay tribute to their star.

Brasenose are not the first college to make a foray into Premier League football in order to enhance their college. Last term students at Somerville College voted to try and sign Liverpool defender Jose Enrique to their college football team by offering him a contract that included payment in Bop jungle juice. Somerville are now in luck, Enrique was released by Liverpool this week and is now on the look out for a new club.

Image: Remi Mathis