Screen

Director’s Cut: Films You’re Dying to Watch….

Universal Pictures

It’s the scariest time of the year…no, not exam season, Halloween! Some of you will want to hide away beneath the covers, but for those of you bold enough or seeking the thrills of horror (and crazy enough to enjoy those films), the Oxford Student has some suggestions for your October movie repertoire – the true classics!

Halloween (1978)

Nothing will prepare you more for the Halloween season like watching this classic. Get ready for cheesy screams, slow and suspenseful murder chases and characters dumb enough to get killed in traditional horror movie fashion. Whether you’re a horror pro or a newbie, this movie is the one to watch to get you into the Halloween spirit!

Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Good versus evil is typically how the world works but this movie explores the idea of the justice system relying on the mind of a brilliant cannibal to uncover and stop a serial killer. An up-and-coming FBI agent in training finds herself between a rock and a hard place – trying to stop a madman from killing innocent people while also trying to not end up being a victim herself…or end up as the cannibal’s dinner.

Saw (2004)

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to wake up chained in a room with no explanation for how you got there, why you were there, or how to get out? Wonder no more! Simply watch Saw and enjoy the panic and terror of other people struggling to survive this bloody and gory horror classic.

Shaun of the Dead (2004)

If you love zombies, beer, and video games, then you will love this bloody brilliant film about zombies, beer, and video games. Shaun of the Dead has it all: humour, gore, sarcasm, wit, and murder. Once again, the amazing trio of Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost perfectly land their trademark wittiness and unmatchable script-writing in this horror parody.