Reviews

Review: It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia

CovertAffairs22

Do you ever feel bad about yourself? Do you ever think you’re too lazy, or you don’t care enough about others, or that you’re just a bad person? Want my Netflix-based advice? Watch It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Not because it’s soul-enriching or heartwarming or will inspire you to be a better person, but you’ll watch it and go “well at least I’m not as bad as those guys”.

Criminally overlooked by UK audiences, It’s Always Sunny is a fantastic US sitcom that takes Seinfeld’s “no hugs, no lessons” mantra to it’s hilariously twisted extreme.

Criminally overlooked by UK audiences, It’s Always Sunny is a fantastic US sitcom that takes Seinfeld’s “no hugs, no lessons” mantra to it’s hilariously twisted extreme. It centres on ‘The Gang’, a group of amoral narcissists running a terrible Irish pub in Philadelphia who are constantly pushing beyond the boundaries of human decency to further their own ends. Most of the time the characters we’re presented with on TV, even if they are fundamentally flawed, have some sort of redeeming quality but that’s nowhere to be found with the ‘protagonists’ (if you can call them that) of It’s Always Sunny, as they pinball between acts of stupidity, selfishness, and wanton cruelty.

Fair warning, it’s not a show to come to if you’re easily offended. The nature of the characters and their warped worldview means not much is off the table in terms of subjects for comedy. ‘Highlights’ include cannibalism, racism, serial killings, and incest, but the writing is always sharp and the core ensemble are brilliant to watch as they consistently screw over each other and themselves. If you’re willing to get into it’s cynically dark rhythms, Netflix has 11 remarkably consistently solid seasons for you to dive into and discover the hilarious depths of human depravity.