Art & Lit

Keble Arts Festival: The Highlights

Keble Arts Festival

For one week each year, amongst the beautiful red brick of Keble, artists of all method and motivation emerge for a very special occasion, one perfect for both those who already emerge themselves in the arts, and for those who are just looking for a taste of something new.  Keble Arts Festival year on year delivers exciting and innovative events, and 2017 looks to be no different. But, with so many events to choose from, what is an Oxford student, with an already over-flowing schedule, to do? Fear not, here are my personal picks of unmissable Keble Arts Festival events.

Monday 6th at 8pm: Lorelai Presents Fe(male) Gaze

This night of all female and non-binary spoken word, poetry and music will be a wonderful way to kick off to the festival. In the style of an open-mic night, this event offers the opportunity to celebrate the immense talent of female and non-binary artists in Oxford. Considering some recent developments in world news, there is a greater need than ever for female empowerment, and what better way to achieve this than through performance?

Thursday 9th at 8pm: A Night of Comedy in the O’Reilly 

I firmly believe that there is no better way to alleviate the stress of the Oxford work load than with comedy and this night in the O’Reilly is certain to provide you with all the laughter you could possibly need. I am most intrigued to watch The Dead Secrets, an adventurous and surreal sketch group whom I have yet to encounter on the comedy scene. Whilst there will be some new faces, this night will also play host to favourites of Oxford Comedy; with the Oxford Revue and the Imps also putting in appearances, it is set to be an excellent night.

Friday 10th at 5pm: The Art of Political cartooning

Political cartooning has long been the artistic medium of choice for those who wish to express their discontent at the political establishment and society. Here is your opportunity to get involved with this tradition. Ella Baron, a political cartoonist published in The Guardian, will be running a workshop to guide participants in creating their own cartoons. This event provides something a little bit different and unexpected, so will truly be a highlight. Newspapers will be provided for inspiration, but considering current events it seems unlikely you’ll need to search very far…

Saturday 11th at 11am: Physical Theatre Workshop with Frantic Assembly

For anyone with an interest in performing, this workshop with Frantic Assembly is an event you won’t want to miss. Frantic Assembly are an internationally renowned theatre company who have inspired great innovations with their creative use of physical theatre. Having been involved in many critically acclaimed productions, including ‘The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time,’ the chance to participate in their physical theatre workshop is one to be grabbed with both hands.

These are just a small selection of the great events planned for Keble Arts Festival, so to learn more about the fourth week excitement on offer check out their Facebook page and website.