The Rundown: A Playlist of Work-Out Music

8881035467_5985387e89_b
Kooroshication

Far from being simply an accompaniment, or indeed a mask for the pain, a great playlist can be at the heart of a great run. Here are six tracks perfect for pounding the pavements of Oxford this Trinity term.

Trance

London Grammar – ‘Hey Now (Arty Remix)’

Though the original is rather melancholic, Arty’s trance re-work of London Grammar’s debut single works surprisingly well, mixing Hannah Reid’s unique vocals with a hypnotic synth bassline. Plug in, zone out and try not to run into anything.

Rock

The Stone Roses – ‘Love Spreads’

Ideal for a mid-run injection of pure energy, John Squire’s politically charged vision of Jesus as a black woman is The Stone Roses at their best. With a minute-long ragged guitar riff intro paired with a driving bass guitar line you’ll find it difficult not to pick up the pace.

Indie

Spoon – ‘Let Me Be Mine’

Although running to indie music can make you feel like you’re in an advert for the latest iPod, Spoons ‘Let Me Be Mine’ is just too infectious to leave out. Carefree and energetic, if you’re struggling to get out the door this is one to listen to.

Electronic

Flume – ‘Left Alone feat. Chet Faker’

With lyrics like, “All I need is suffering bones/Breathe in sorrow,” this is perhaps a track for those escapist runs when you just need the headspace. If traversing the streets while thinking through your worldly troubles isn’t your cup of tea though, it also has a great hook.

Funk

Daft Punk – ‘Random Access Memories (Vanderway Edit)’

Very much in the tradition of Daft Punk’s debut Discovery, French Producer Vanderway created a 5 minute song from just 15 seconds of preview material for Daft Punk’s then unreleased album Random Access Memories. The result is an uplifting electro-funk masterpiece, fantastic to run to, and to sneak in a dance when no-one’s watching.

Psychedelic:

Allah-Las – ‘Catalina’

Not every run is a breathless, painful affair. Sometimes you just want to take it easy and enjoy the scenery. Enough to keep you moving but resolutely chilled out, the garage rock of Allah-Las is the perfect for such occasions. Get off the roads, find some nature and let it take you away.