Spectrum Ball: a kaleidoscope of colour

Molly Mellott

The much-anticipated Spectrum Ball created by the partnership between St. Anne’s and St. Peter’s and held on Saturday 13th May brought a colourful ball to the Oxford ball scene. The £95 ticket included food and drink, transportation to and from the venue, a Ferris wheel and dodgems, and the selected entertainment of the evening.

Unlike most Oxford college balls, the Spectrum Ball decided to break with tradition and bus students to Cornbury Park in Charlbury, a sprawling 5000-acre Cotswolds estate fifteen minutes’ coach journey from Oxford. Students enjoyed a reception of champagne at their respective colleges before boarding the air-conditioned coaches.. Upon arrival at Cornbury Park they were greeted by the glow of the Ferris wheel. Students stepped out of the coaches onto a path surrounded by trees and were guided by strings of lights to the area in which the ball was taking place which, as advertised, looked like a kaleidoscope of colour.

Spectrum Ball decided to break with tradition and bus students to Cornbury Park in Charlbury, a sprawling 5000-acre Cotswolds estate

Despite the chill of the early spring night, students gathered around the three different outdoor stages, enjoying various performances throughout the evening, including Daft Punk’d, a tribute band, on the main stage, The Path Ahead, an Oxford-based rock band, on the second stage, and Ben Christopher, a sultry jazz piano duo at the ‘chill stage’, which was a laid-back lounge lit by paper lanterns, with a stand serving an assortment of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream. Other food stalls provided pizza, paella, waffles on a stick doused in chocolate and sugar , toasties, ‘Taste Tibet,’ and candy floss, which all began to close around midnight, much to the chagrin of the ball attendees. Three bars were scattered around the ball venue, though by midnight they had run out of beer and wine, and the selection of beverages thus became rather limited.. Thankfully, frequent coaches commuted between Cornbury Park and Oxford from midnight to 3am.

As a reviewer, it is my job to give you the best idea of the Spectrum Ball from a first-hand experience , including both the good and the bad aspects. Though I personally wish there were heaters at the venue and that the food stalls had remained open longer, the Spectrum Ball managed to stand out for whisking its ticket-holders away from Oxford for an evening of pure and simple indulgence and fun.