Fashion

It’s okay to go to Tesco in a dressing gown now

Image created by Leonie Hutch using photographs by: PiccoloNamek (slippers), User:Caesura (biscuit)

Each season there are a slew of fashion forcasting and trend spotting articles informing people what clothes to buy and how to wear them. People wait feverishly to be told how to spend their money and what they should look like. However, there is only one look that has emerged from the a/w ’17 catwalks that I feel reflects my experience of dressing as a student. And that is the night/daywear aesthetic.

Note: this is not the ‘day-to-night’ office wear that people go clubbing in on Friday nights. There are no black shift dresses with a cutaway back that is only revealed when you leave the matching jacket in Accounting-on-1st- floor-and-break-free-to-order-yourself-a-happy-hour-end-of-the-week-mojito. No, I am talking about clothes which lie in a liminal zone between pyjamas and actual real, day clothes.

I call it duvet chic. And I have proof that it is a real thing (that I am absolutely not at all using to justify my own laziness).

Quilts are no longer restricted to those strange B&Bs which don’t have duvets but instead provide you with a mille-feuille of bed sheets. They are mainstream now. Completely quilted suits were seen at many shows, including Dries Van Noten, Zegna and Topshop. At Calvin Klein and Roksanda long quilted blanket coats were sent down the runway. Gucci didn’t even bother with the façade of real clothes and just sent their models out in dressing gowns.

Erdem and Brock Collection presented white dresses that could easily have been nighties. And while patterned silk satin ‘evening suits’ have been a thing for a while now, this year Peter Pilotto took this blurring of night and daywear to a new level. Their runway was awash with pastel coloured cotton jersey t shirts and matching silk trousers and slippers. They genuinely sent models out in pyjamas. And as a result countless students (read: I) should feel aesthetically vindicated.

Why bother with the façade of real clothes when you can wear pyjamas?

If ever you have been denied access to the library or hall because of your “inappropriate nightwear”- no, not that inappropriate nightwear, we are all thankful that we did not have to see the unseeable over our cornflakes– know that you have the fashion establishment on your side.

Yes, it is unclear whether you’ve just woken up/ are about to go to bed, but that is because you are timeless.

Why have two sets of clothes for different times of the day, when you can have one (that is mildly unsuitable for all)? Is it a dressing gown? No, obviously it’s a chic longline jacket (that I also happen to wear to and from the shower). Are you still in your slippers? Actually, they’re mules. Go clubbing in a nightie very sexy slip dress. To tutorials in cotton jersey pyjamas playful co-ords.

In fact, why stop there? Why not drape your college-allocated bedspread around your shoulders a la Celine? Raid your grannie’s house for appropriate Roksada-esque knitted blankets? Commit.

Central to the success of this look is cultivating a sense of nonchalant self-assurance in your sartorial choices. You know that your look is high fash-ion, dah-ling. Even if you are asleep in the library.