Food

Tales from the Bakery: BakeSoc is back for Pre-Season

There are few things finer in life than freshly-baked goods. Be it the beautiful eruption of a gooey chocolate brownie or the cool crunch of a crisp caramel slice, the foodgasm which results is a literal feast for the senses.

Aiming to prepare this feast is BakeSoc which, much like many of its sporting partners, started its pre-season training this week. Committee meetings produced strong plans for new cakes and bakes, and the storage facilities were mucked out with a skillet in preparation for the all new in-date ingredients. More in-date members were also needed and this recruitment required two things: a freshers’ fair and some bribes. The former was easy, Main Quad on Sunday afternoon, the latter a more difficult choice. Facing strong competition from welfare tea and chocolate galore a strong bake was required.

Facing strong competition from welfare tea and chocolate galore a strong bake was required.

Step up presidents, your first challenge awaits! Producing roughly 100 perfect squares of melt-in-the-middle brownie in a kitchen already half taken by the Christian Union breakfast was always going to be an uphill struggle, and a lack of both time and equipment made this task only harder. In short, BakeSoc returned in true BakeSoc style.

Against these tremendous odds the results were spectacular, with rows of neat brownies and greater-than-expected sign-ups. One can only assume that, to the newbies, the promise of free food all year and the prospect of kneading their own dough outweighed the struggle of fighting against the temptation to revert to a modern convenience-based lifestyle.

Pre-season has, therefore, finished with a small victory! Onwards we must move to 1st week, for now the baking proper can commence! In the words of the true legends: On your marks, get set, bake!

In the words of the true legends: On your marks, get set, bake!