Tales from the Bakery: Let the Season Commence!

pixel1

Tuesday of this week is World Food Day. In commemoration of this, and the first true week of term, BakeSoc had its first meeting on Sunday with full aplomb. Lemon Drizzle and Sticky Toffee were the cakes on the menu and a strong turnout was expected, with 14 RSVPs and plenty of enthusiasm afoot.

The afternoon got off to a bad start, with 20 minutes having passed with zero turnout. It seems problem sheets and essay crises, a staple of any university weekend, had reached their climax and people simply couldn’t find their way out of the library. All seemed lost and the thought of cake a distant hope, far beyond our presidents’ imaginations.

Following the trusted guide of a Mary Berry recipe meant that eventually it all came together into a nice batter

However, the promise of cake proved too much, and but a minute or two later our first members arrived. Soon we were up to 8 and baking was in full swing. Lemon drizzle and sticky toffee pudding, a recipe for a great afternoon!

Both recipes were two stages long, with a cake and a topping. The lemon was a straightforward recipe, but not so much the sticky toffee pudding. The recipe was complex with teaspoons, grams and millilitres but plenty of mixing in the new, larger, mixing bowls and following the trusted guide of a Mary Berry recipe meant that eventually it all came together into a nice batter.

A minor calamity with the quantity of cream delayed the production of the toffee sauce, but a quick trip to the Co-Op (other supermarkets are available) remedied all missing ingredients. What resulted was a gorgeous, delicious hot cake with sumptuous toffee sauce. Oh, and lemon one was pretty good too! BakeSoc is off to a good start, roll on week 2!