Editorial

***DEADLINE EXTENDED!*** Join the OxStu for Hilary 2018!

The Oxford Student is now looking forward to assembling another great team of editors, writers, photographers, cartoonists, illustrators and filmmakers for Hilary Term!

As the largest student publication in Oxford, our print edition reaches thousands of readers every week and achieves over 75,000 online hits per month.

Working for The Oxford Student is a fantastic way to gain editorial experience, and even work with national newspapers, but it’s not just a job for those of you interested in journalism. The experience you gain on the editorial team will develop your sales, marketing, legal, editing and team skills, which are highly transferable to any job. The Oxford Student is also held in very high esteem with graduate recruiters, and our editorial staff are regularly invited to exclusive graduate recruitment events.

On top of all that, the atmosphere in the OxStu office is friendly and collaborative. No experience is required to join the team, and it’s a great place to meet like-minded people.

Just this term, we’ve covered everything from the Chris Patten to Christmas bops. We’ve built a broadcasting empire based on cooking and access to the Ashmolean, and we’ve been threatened with defamation by a leading Oxford letting agency. We’ve reviewed performances, places and pieces from across Oxford and beyond.

Want to join the fun and see your work go out to thousands of Oxford readers? Apply below! If you can’t make the deadline, it’s worth emailing to ask for an extension, and we may be able to accommodate a later application.

We are currently hiring editorial staff, sub-editors, photographers, illustrators, broadcasters and cartoonists. Positions are held for one term, at the end of which candidates must re-apply either for their role or another. If a candidate is unsuccessful in attaining the position they apply for, they will be able to discuss alternative options with the current editors.

Available Positions

Online Editor

Responsibilities:

• Manage content for the website, co-ordinating uploads and keeping it updated
  • Manage social media including our Twitter and Facebook pages to maximise traffic to website
  • Work with OUSU to improve and streamline website and improve advertising exposure
  • Work with website analytics to find our most popular content and increase readership

Approx. time commitment: ~3 hours per week

How to apply: email editor@oxfordstudent.com with a brief summary of i) any relevant experience and ii) any ideas you have to improve our online content

Deadline: 23:59, Thursday 30th November

Deputy Editor

Responsibilities:

• Supervise section editors in laying their sections and training InDesign
  • Lay the News and OxStuff sections
  • Advise on the creative direction of the publication
  • Fill in for Editors in certain areas

Approx. time commitment: 5 hours per week

How to apply: email editor@oxfordstudent.com with a brief summary of i) any relevant experience and ii) any ideas you have to improve the newspaper as a whole

Deadline: 23:59, Thursday 30th November

News Editor

Responsibilities:

• Commission and manage content for the section
  • Seeking out breaking news and uncovering stories in Oxford
  • Oversee the News Reporting team and edit their work
  • Ensure all news is covered and publicised online

Approx. time commitment: 6 hours per week

How to apply: email editor@oxfordstudent.com with a brief summary of i) any relevant experience and ii) any ideas you have to improve the News section

Deadline: 23:59, Thursday 30th November

Investigations Editor

Responsibilities:

• Commit to investigating a particular element of Oxford life each fortnight, chosen in collaboration with the Editors
  • Interview people, create and present surveys, take photos and videos, issue requests for information – create a full investigation
  • Write and lay the final product

Approx. time commitment: 5 hours per week

How to apply: email editor@oxfordstudent.com with a brief summary of i) any relevant experience and ii) a proposal for an investigation

Deadline: 23:59, Thursday 30th November

Section Editor (Comment, Profile, Music, Screen, Stage, Fashion, Art & Lit, Features, Pink (LGBTQ), Sport)

Responsibilities:

• Lay your section (using the design software to input content)
  • Commission and manage content for section, full editorial control over content direction
  • Manage creative direction of the section in terms of design and regular features
  • Write for your section regularly

How to apply: email editor@oxfordstudent.com with a brief summary of i) any relevant experience and ii) any ideas you have to improve the section. Make sure you put the name of the section you’re applying for in the title of the email.

Deadline: 23:59, Thursday 30th November

Deputy Section Editor  (News, Comment, Profile, Music, Screen, Stage, Fashion, Art & Lit, Features, Pink (LGBTQ), Sport)

Responsibilities:

• Upload section content to website
  • Provide regular content for section
  • Fill in for Section Editors in their absence
  • Have an important role in the creative direction of the section

Approx. time commitment: 2 hours per week

How to apply: email editor@oxfordstudent.com with a brief summary of i) any relevant experience and ii) any ideas you have to improve the section.

Deadline: 23:59, Thursday 30th November

Chief Sub-Editor

Responsibilities:

• Oversee the team of sub-editors
  • Ensure all content to be published is print-ready in terms of grammar and punctuation
  • Work with the Editors to ensure a consistent house style across the paper

How to apply: email editor@oxfordstudent.com with a brief summary of any relevant experience

Deadline: 23:59, Thursday 30th November

Sub-Editor

Responsibilities:

• Work with the Sub-Editor and rest of the subbing team to ensure all content is print-ready
  • Possess an excellent grasp of English grammar, spelling and syntax

Approx. time commitment: 3 hours per week

Deadline: 23:59, Thursday 30th November

Broadcast Editor

Responsibilities:

• Create video and audio content for the paper
  • Manage broadcasting contributions from section teams and make sure they are reaching targets

Approx. time commitment: 10 hours per week

How to apply: email editor@oxfordstudent.com with a brief summary of i) any relevant experience and ii) any ideas you have to improve the section and your plans for content.

Deadline: 23:59, Thursday 30th November

Creative director

Responsibilities:

• Act as the point of contact between the editors and the photographers, delegating commissions from the team during the week and ensuring they are fulfilled
  • Help to shape the creative direction for the visual elements of the paper

Approx. time commitment: 3 hours per week

How to apply: email editor@oxfordstudent.com with a brief summary of i) any relevant experience and ii) your vision for the visual content of the paper.

Deadline: 23:59, Thursday 30th November

Photographers and illustrators

We use hundreds of original photos and illustrations over a single term, including news reports, fashion shoots and commissions by culture sections, so if you are interested in expanding your portfolio and working with some great people, apply now! Due to funding restrictions, you will be required to provide your own equipment.

How to apply: fill out the Join the Oxford Student form.

Deadline: ongoing – we accept new applications for photographer at any time!

Illustrators and Cartoonists:

We’re constantly on the lookout for people with artistic flair and a wry sense of humour to provide satirical and political cartoons for our publication.

How to apply: fill in this form on our website.

Deadline: ongoing – you can join the team at any time!

Staff Writers:

This role is perfect if writing is what you’re interested in, or if you want to test the waters and have a flexible role before making a bigger time commitment. You can conduct interviews and write on topics of your choice – or meet commissions from our section editors. If you want to be a food columnist, theatre reviewer, sports reporter or anything else beside, this is a great way to increase (or begin) your portfolio of published articles.

Deadline: ongoing – you can join the team at any time!

Good luck, and thanks for your interest. We look forward to hearing from you!

Penny & Anya, The Oxford Student