Council to celebrate local charities and community groups

Oxford City Council will be celebrating the contributions made by Oxford based charities and community groups for Local Charities Day as part of a week-long campaign from Monday 11 December to Friday 15 December.

The campaign aims to encourage a greater number of people to volunteer their time to local charities and donate more.

There are currently more than 55.000 volunteers in Oxford who give over 3 million hours a year of service to local charities and community groups. A 2016 survey carried out by Student Hubs, a charity that organises student volunteers, found that volunteers made a £27.6 million monetary contribution to the city.

In a press release, the City Council said it will build on the success of the 2016 International Volunteers Day campaign.

The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport first launched Local Charities Day in 2016. Tracey Crouch, minister for civil society, announced in September that Local Charities Day would be returning for a second year on 15 December and will look to “highlight the work of small charities that are making remarkable differences in their communities.”

In a blog post, Crouch wrote the event will “shine a spotlight on the unsung heroes and celebrate the commitment of those amazing volunteers who devote their time to improving the lives of others.”

Board Member for Culture and Communities, Oxford Councillor Dee Sinclair, said: “Oxford charities whose amazing volunteers generously give their time have a significant, positive impact in our communities in Oxford. Their fantastic contribution, passion and commitment to improving lives and supporting communities in the city are a source of pride for all of us. We are delighted to be giving them recognition for their remarkable work.”