Sigrid crowned winner of BBC Sound Of 2018

Credit: Tore Saetre

Back for its sixteenth year, BBC Sound Of aims to showcase the wealth of rising musical artists today. This year proves no exception with 21-year-old powerhouse Sigrid Raabe taking first place. Alice Vincent, journalist at The Telegraph, says: ‘The emergence of Sigrid, like Lorde before her, is proof that the music industry still has a knack for tracking down talent wherever it’s hiding.’

Growing up in small town Ålesund in Norway and starting her music-making journey a mere four years ago, Sigrid has stunned voters and listeners with her tenacious and charismatic stage presence.

Sigrid has also been praised frequently for the refreshing honesty and striking boldness of her lyrics. Thomas Smith, journalist for NME, says: ‘In 2017, more than ever, we need pop stars like Sigrid. With tumultuous times seemingly around every corner and a need for young people to find their voice and use it, the 20-year-old’s majestic debut single ‘Don’t Kill My Vibe’ is an anthem for those ready to fight back.’

Sigrid responds to the news: ‘It’s a lot to take in to have won something as prestigious as BBC Music Sound Of. I feel honoured as there are so many other artists I look up to who have won this before me, and honestly, I’m just really happy and proud of what my team and I have achieved together.’

With previous winners including Ellie Goulding, 50 Cent, HAIM, Jessie J and Adele, there’s no doubt that Sigrid’s future in the music industry promises to be exceptionally prosperous.

Sigrid tours the UK this spring, playing at Shepherd’s Bush Empire on March 14. Her single ‘Strangers’ is out now.

First published 19/1/18.