The Oxford Revue hits the West End

The Oxford Revue, the university’s world-renowned comedy troupe, are attempting a feat we’ve never seen a student society attempt before – pulling off a West End show.

The Oxford Revue: Funraiser is a fundraiser show that will be taking place for one night (and one night only) at the Leicester Square Theatre in central London on February 28th. Acted out by some notable Revue alumni, including the likes of Ivo Graham and Evelyn Mok, the show will consist of a series of sketches that reenact iconic scenes from cinematic history – along the lines of Titanic, and An Officer and A Gentleman, but naturally, with a comic twist.

There will also be appearances from The Cambridge Footlights (the troupe that spawned Fry and Laurie), and UCL’s resident comedy club. As is perhaps fitting for an event that celebrates student comedy, the show has a special student discount offer, involving return travel to and from Oxford, a 2 course meal in a swanky restaurant and a club night in the West End – all for the cost price of £25. It’s slightly ridiculous – and given that the profits all go to charitable causes (the event is being put on in association with Rape Crisis), this seems all the more worth it.

The Oxford Revue has had a star-studded year, with shows True Love and Other Nonsense and Best of the Fringe both selling out the Burton Taylor Studio. Some of the acts attending are household names – many will recognise Ivo Graham particularly from shows like Mock The Week and Russell Howard’s Good News, and Evelyn Mok was nominated for Female Comedian of the Year in 2017. All are coming together for a good cause.

As well as supporting Rape Crisis, the show is also trying to do its bit to solve the gender imbalance in comedy – with at least 2 confirmed female acts, a female compere and a female MD for the live orchestra. If this wasn’t enough, with every ticket you buy, you are automatically entered into a draw to win tickets to smash musical Hamilton, and the additional interval raffle will include a whole host of signed merchandise from Revue alumni including Sally Phillips and Rowan Atkinson. All we can say is – break a leg.

The Oxford Revue: Funraiser is playing at the Leicester Square Theatre on February 28th, student tickets can be bought here: https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/the-oxford-revue-2. The event can be found here: https://leicestersquaretheatre.ticketsolve.com/shows/873582080